Word association test(WAT) is a test of thinking in which a number of English words will be shown to the candidates and the candidates need to make one sentence on each of them. The word will be both positive and negative. When –ve word will be shown, candidate should make +ve sentence from that to bring out his +ve personality. While making the sentence, the candidate should write their original ideas and should not write any borrowed idea. Therefore, candidates should not write any quote of important personality, sentences already in use, any idiom or proverb. Similarly, while making the sentences the candidate should bring a relationship with any of the OLQs or the personality trait. The candidate can frame his sentence on any part of speech on word shown to reveal following personality traits:-
Sense of duty and responsibility
1) 60 words will be shown to the candidate one after another at an interval of 15 seconds. candidate has to see the word, frame the sentence and write it on the paper in this 15 seconds.
2) 15 words each will be taken from each of the OLQ factor but they all be mixed up.
POINTS TO BE KEPT IN MIND:-
1) The candidate should not use modal verbs like may, might, shall, should, can, could, must, ought while making the sentence.
2) Don’t make sentences with imperatives( no suggestion, command, order, summon).
3) Do not write word. Directly write sentences.
4) Use present tense in making sentences.
5) If you get same word twice, write different sentences.
6) Try to show qualities you are going to mention in your “self description” test.
7) Write simple and short sentences.
HOW TO FRAME SENTENCES:-
a) 3rd person singular no. method
b) role play method
a) 3rd person singular no. + original word + other words to complete the sentences.
Eg. Love:- Teacher loves hard working student.
Commander loves brave soldiers.
Reward:- Hard work is always rewarded with success.
Accept:- Hard working people accept all challenges.
b) Role play method:- original word + what role does it play + other words to complete the sentences
Eg. Love:- love binds people.
Love builds trust.
Reward:- Reward inspires to work hard.
Accept: Acceptance reflects maturity.
Success:- Success boosts confidence.
a) Denial method
b) Remedial method
a) Denial method:- 3rd person singular number + denial word + original word + other words to complete the sentence.
Eg. Hate:- Teacher never hate hard working student.
Dishonest:- Society hates dishonest people.
Punish:- Disciplined students Are never punished.
Reject:- Coach never reject good plans.
Fail:- A leader never fail to motivate others.
b) Remedial method:- remedial word + overcome/remove/reduce/check/dispel + original word.
Eg. Depression: playing games overcome depression.
** If a candidate don’t get any sentence on the word given, he can also make sentences on it’s:-
Eg. Empty:- life is full of joy.
Eg. Jovial:- helping poor make happy.
c) Conveying sense
Eg. Library:- a treasure of knowledge.