In this test a number of situation will be given to candidate may be with contradictory requirement. It is based on the theory that in every day life one encounter certain unexpected situations and he needs to react appropriately to meet the requirements of those situations. This is a test of common sense, reasoning ability, maturity and speed of one’s decision making. An armed force officer comes across various new and uncommon situations during his service and he tackle those situations with his intelligence and thinking.
60 situations will be given to the candidate in form of booklet which should not be opened until told to do so. The candidate will be given 30 minutes to write down his reactions. The time is deliberately reduced to minimum to ensure that candidate give an spontaneous reaction reflecting his own characteristics.
The situations given are related to daily happening in one’s life. So, there is no right or wrong answer. Candidate will write his reaction which matches his own personality and attitude.
1) The candidate should prioritize his action and write his reaction in laid out sequence.
2) As the time is limited, candidate should use action words and telegraphic language. Action words are those which convey message.
3) Use minimum possible words to respond but write full action and not only reaction.
4) As all the situations will be ending with the word “He”, word “He” should not be repeated in answer.
5) The candidates should not give new reaction to the same action repeated again because this will reflect fluctuation in decision making capacity.
6) There should be use of comma or ; or conjugation and.
7) The candidate can skip articles.
8) The candidate can use abbreviation but only widely accepted like IAF, SP etc. he should not use informal language used In chatting over social media.
9) The reaction will be written in past tense and 3rd person singular number.
10)After successfully reacting to the situation, the candidate will continue doing what he was doing before confronting the situation.
11)Although, it’s not mandatory to answer in any sequence but it’s advisable to write your reaction continuously in give order as not doing so may give an impression of running away from the situation.
BASIC PRINCIPLES OF REACTION:-
1) The hero will not be :-
a)Supporting or joining any strike or union.
b) Have aggressive behavior except during war or sports.
c)Losing temper or reacting violently.
2) Fire situation:-
a)Train:- pull chain( it will stop train as well as alert authorities to take his action), organize passengers and extinguish fire using blanket and water.
b)Village:- alert fire brigade, organize villagers, extinguish fire using water & mud.
c)Cinema:- alert authorities, organize people, extinguish fire using extinguisher, sand and water.
3) Natural calamity like cyclone, earthquake, flood, landslide, cloud burst:- along with administration rehabilitated people, family to safer place or relief camp, organized accommodation, food & returned home after situation normalized.
1:1:- overpowered him and handed over to police.
3:3 or 4:4 :- along with management and security overpowered them, handed over to police.
1:3/4 :- tactfully or smartly managed the situation, got out of it safely.
5) Snake:- likely to harm:- killed the snake
Unlikely to harm:- guided it outside or into the bush.
6) Boating:- leak:- cover hole, wipe out water, row to bank.
Overturned:- along with swimmer friends swim across river, call for help and save all friends.
7) Bridge collapses:- when half of group crossed :- crossed over by boat or an alternative bridge.
:- when entire group is on bridge:- form human chain in several groups and move carefully to bank.
8) Argument:- strong:- convince/ persuade.
:- weak:- gracefully accept mistake.
9) Opinion differs with friends, family, colleagues:- compromise with them.
10) Money matter:- one time requirement:- borrow from relative/ friend.
:- long time requirement:- part time job/ take loan.
11) Games:- injury:- took first aid, continued playing, won the game.
:- partner missing:- bring in substitute, practice with him, played, won.
12) Trekking/mountaineering in unknown place:- taking longer time/ route longer:- consult route map, took right path, reached safely.
13) Illness:- unconscious and seriously ill:- city:-called doctor, acted as per his advice.
:- village:- rushed him to the nearest hospital.
:- conscious and serious:- rushed to nearest hospital.