Your PIQ is nothing but your trailer. This will create 1st impression in the mind of interviewing officer (IO) and guide him to ask questions to you. The IO will see your PIQ before he actually sees you. This will form the basis of your interview. So, fill up every detail in PIQ carefully and tidily.
From the information you furnish in your PIQ, IO will set a standard for you and will expect you to stand up to that level. For eg. A candidate coming from urban area, from rich background and completed his schooling from good English medium school will be expected to be fluent in his communication skills, have a good power of expression, full of confidence e.t.c and bars will be set higher for him than the candidate coming from rural area, from poor background and studied in govt. school. Similarly, a candidate coming from rural area will be expected to perform better in ground task. But this doesn’t mean you’ll give wrong information. Give correct and accurate information for this is not the only thing that you’ll be judged by. IO will find out the truth from you and you’ll be rejected if he finds a bluff.
The PIQ form will contain two pages. The 1st page contains serial no. 1 to 7 and information related to your parents and your education. The 2nd page contain serial no. 8 to 14 and information related to participation in NCC, sports and previous SSB attempts.
ABC’s of effective personality and communication:-
Positive attitude:- Don’t get angry/ frustrated. Switch over to new plan move immediately.
Kind behaviour:- respect, reply with modesty and submission.
Strong character:- carry out your responsibility properly even no one is watching you.
Accurate:- write to the point. Don’t beat around the bush.
Brief:- your information should be short and crisp.
Clear:- your hand writing should be neat and clean.
USEFUL TIPS FOR FILING UP YOUR PIQ FORM:-
- Use prefix “shri” before father’s name as a mark of respect unless instructed otherwise.
- Place of your maximum residence is the actual place where you have spent most part of your life, not your educational career.
- Write approx. population of your place in bracket.
- While writing SC/ST/OBC, write category you fall under as per state govt.’s classification.
- Write religion as Hinduism/ Sikhism etc and not simply Hindu/ Sikh etc.
- Details of guardian is required only for those who are dependent on guardian other than parents (especially in the case of parent’s death).
- For address, draw a semi-line/ dotted line to divide the space in two parts and use the given space properly to write your full address.
- In para 7, mention only your achievements related to academics like Olympiad, district/ state/national topper in any exam/subject etc. other achievement like debate, quiz, games& sports should be mentioned later in para 11.
- “Total training” column in para 10 contains period over which you were enrolled in NCC.
- In para 11(a) “period of duration of participation” is the entire period over which you have been participating in that particular games/sports and the duration of tournament you participated in. Eg. 2009- till date.
- In para 11(b)- hobbies are that you do yourself in your spare time. Like sketching, solving puzzle etc. please do write and cultivate a constructive hobby. Interest is that you love to do and may become professional in that like mountaineering, travelling etc.
- Nature of commission in as per your actual application like permanent for NDA/ CDS and SSc for Ota etc.
- Choice of service is air force/ navy/ army as per sequence you have opted for.
- Fill up all the details of your previous SSB in para 14. Write screened out if you were screened out in previous attempt or recommended/ not recommended under the provided space.
GENERAL TIPS TO FILL UP PIQ FORM EFFECTIVELY:-
- Fill the PIQ form in capital letters because it’ll bring clarity in your communication skills which speaks about your self confidence.
- Avoid cutting and over-writing. It shows lack of self confidence& speed of decision making.
- Use space management technique giving your unique selling point(USP).
- Write in proper row and column.
- Align your information to show discipline. Write in proper alignment using unique font size and at equidistant from each other.
- Listen attentively to the GTO while he briefs you on how to fill your PIQ form. If you have any doubt, do ask him and clarify all your doubts.